Notifications
Clear all

1930 Chevy Coupe Brake Pedal Sticking

Bob Fields
(@bob-fields)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hello Folks

The brake pedal on my 1930 Chevy Coupe is sticking. The brakes work but when you press down on the pedal it stays down. You have to pull it back up with the top of you foot. The linkage does have a return spring so that was not the issue. When I proceeded to trouble shoot the problem by disconnecting the front and rear brake rods the issue was still present. After looking at it closer the center cross shaft seems to be the problem. (see attached photo)

1930 Chevy Brake Cross Shaft #1
Center Cross Shaft

It is tired and rusty. I am currently spraying PB Blaster were the green arrow are in the photo.

• I don't see a way to grease this part. Am I missing something?

The red arrows point to what looks like 4 rivets holding the piece together based on the seam highlighted by the yellow arrow.

• Is there away to take this apart beside drilling out the rivets?
  • Should these pivot points be grease on a regular basis?
    • If so how would it be done since I don't see any grease fittings?

Thanks Again for the help and advise.

Bob

Stovblt
(@ole-olson)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi Bob

I would cut a narrow strip of emery cloth and polish the rust off the shaft on each side of the bushing, then continue what you are already doing with the rust penetrant.

I wouldn't remove the rivets, just keep working the shaft in the bushing until you can twist it and slide it to one side on the shaft as far as possible.

Then clean the exposed area with emery cloth.

Twist and slide in the opposite direction and clean the newly exposed area.

Eventually the bushing will free up.

Then just oil liberally working the bushing back and forth on the shaft and re install.

A little oil at both sides of the bushing at every oil change after that will keep everything working fine.  🙂

Ole S Olson
Saskatoon, Sask, Canada
1139 old site posts

ReplyQuote
David Dunton
(@david-dunton)
Active Member Registered

Bob, I agree with Ole and have it done it like that a few times. If it doesn't work there are some great posts by Bearsfan315 on the old site when he was working on the shaft for his 29. You might search those up.

Dave

ReplyQuote
Tiny
 Tiny
(@tiny)
Hall Monitor Moderator

<This may be the thread David is referring to.>

7046 old site posts
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet
1938 Master Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan

ReplyQuote
Bob Fields
(@bob-fields)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks folks great advice. I did not want to drill out the rivets and was looking for an alternative like the one mentioned above. I will also check out the old post.

ReplyQuote
Share: