Damaged Tailgate Hi...

Notifications
Clear all

Damaged Tailgate Hinge Connection

Nick Gurin
(@nicholas-gurin)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

I am attaching photos of what I see on both sides of the back end of the bed on my 1940 KC pickup. (The bed on this truck is about 45 1/2" wide by 78" long.)

No tailgate hinges came with project, but when I look where the hinges should go, I see a problem. I have attached a couple representative photographs.

How should I go about fixing this situation. It looks as though both sides had captive fasteners that have rusted beyond repair.

I assume that others have faced this in the past.

I am trying to make a useful truck out of this and I am not too worried about originality. I don't want to do anything that would make returning to original impossible in the future, but my main goal is it should look okay and be functional. 

IMG 6598
IMG 6629

Thanks!

Nick Gurin
Taos, New Mexico
1940 KC 1/2 Ton Pickup

(@mike-rabaut)

It looks like the bolt is broken off.   I would suggest drilling it out starting with a small drill then progressively larger...   You might try heating it then using an easy out but I would be careful because of the possible sheet metal distortion.... So be careful there... 

By the way, if you don't have a torch, look into the induction heaters....  They create a localized hotspot and might work well in this situation.

Mike

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Mike Rabaut

Nick Gurin reacted
ReplyQuote
37Blue
(@lee)
Member Moderator

I agree.  It does appear the bolt has snapped off.  There should be two bolts on each gate side that secure a trunnion, see attached photos, that hold the tailgate in place.

IMG 8166
IMG 8167

Nick Gurin reacted
ReplyQuote
35mike
(@35mike)

Nick,

Your bed should be 48 inches wide. The narrower bed was used for '37 through '39. The '39 uses a fender that is similar to the '40/'46 fender except that it is wider so the bed/fender combination is the same width, overall, after the bed was widened for 1940.

Mike

Many Miles of Happy Motoring
3469 Posts on Old VCCA Chat

Nick Gurin reacted
ReplyQuote
Nick Gurin
(@nicholas-gurin)
Topic starter  

Well shucks, Mike!

Here comes a complication!

The tag on my cowl indicates that the truck was built in December of 1939 and my bed is 45 5/8" x 78 1/4".

Is it possible that some of the early 1940 KC trucks came with the older style narrower bed? Or is it a reality that my truck is a mongrel...1/2 1939 and 1/2 '40? 

Will I be facing some fitment problems when I try to marry up the running boards and the front and rear fenders?

Nick

Nick Gurin
Taos, New Mexico
1940 KC 1/2 Ton Pickup

ReplyQuote
35mike
(@35mike)

You will have fitment problems if your fenders and bed are not matched. I doubt that any overlap of "left over" parts took place to explain your situation.

Mike

Many Miles of Happy Motoring
3469 Posts on Old VCCA Chat

ReplyQuote
Nick Gurin
(@nicholas-gurin)
Topic starter  

Phooey! That's not what I wanted to hear.

Now I have to find someone with a good later bed but needs one that is the older, narrower type.

It's too bad because the bed I have (with the exception of those two broken bolts) has been gone over by a previous owner and is in very good shape!

Well, one step at a time!

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Nick Gurin

Nick Gurin
Taos, New Mexico
1940 KC 1/2 Ton Pickup

ReplyQuote
(@wilfred-lemon)
New Member Registered

I have recently dealt with this bolt problem. Your bolt is broken off and does have a captured square nut behind it. I guess the original bolt had a wide head like a carriage bolt with the screwdriver slot in it. You may need to modify a carriage bolt to get that look. Removing the rusted broken bolt is a very common undertaking in this hobby. When assembling the hinge/tailgate assembly, try to "dry fit" the whole thing before committing to tightening bolts. I made a mistake in thinking it would all go back together with new hinges, but with wear & deformity of the bed and tailgate, it didn't. I ended up drilling some new holes that I didn't want to. 

Jake

Nick Gurin reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: