Notifications
Clear all

Using Cab Mounting Kit

Nick Gurin
(@nicholas-gurin)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

I spent some time in the last few days installing a Cab Mounting Kit I purchased from one of the popular vendors of old truck parts on my 1940 KC 1/2 ton.

I figured that it would be a simple job - installing a total of 8 bolts with a few additional components - with one side being a mirror image of the other.

It really is a simple job, but the instructions that came with the kit were pretty close to useless. It was an illustration that was not very detailed to start with and had been copied so many times that it was hard to tell a split washer from a nut.

I found a "Tech Tip" on the Stovebolt.com site which helped a lot. It included much clearer images of what the kit includes and those images were presented in a way that took most of the guessing out of the process.

A couple of points that were not clear (to me) from either source were - if numbering the mounts 4 on each side from front to back:

> The largest piece of fabric/rubber goes with mount #1, the next smaller piece goes with mount #3, the smallest goes with mount #2

> The longest bolt goes into mount #4

I am not an expert by any means! So if anyone knows that the information presented above is incorrect...PLEASE let me know! I am posting this because I couldn't find any descriptions posted by others that covered the questions I had, so I tried to figure it out as I went along.

Nick Gurin
Taos, New Mexico
1940 KC 1/2 Ton Pickup

(@anthony-williamson)
Member Moderator

By your description you have it correct (if the 40 is the same as my 38). Om my 38 the front bracket has 2 bolts about 6" apart the front is at front of cowl the back 1 is nearly under the junction of the toeboard and footboard and only uses long enough to reach through the cab plate, 2 pieces of rubber and a backing plate as well as the frame, the next mounting back is just under the front of the seat (below the fuel tank) and hast the same parts as the front but add in a spring underneath inside the chassis, the rear is behind the seat with the same parts but a longer spring on top inside the cab. I have no idea why 1 spring is underneath the the next is on the top as the rear would have the same affect either way up though the 3rd would not fit with the fuel tank proximitity.

Tony   

Nick Gurin reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: