Notifications
Clear all

1937 Clutch Rebuilt in Process . . . Mechanic needs original depth of flywheel & pressure plate height for 3 speed sedan: Can you Help?

(@terry-l-gemmell)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  
The vehicle is currently in the shop with transmission removed for a new clutch but we need to know what the original dimensions where for the pressure plate and flywheel so the mechanic can determine how much more material if any can be removed for the rebuild.

Here's what my mechanic needs to know:
-The original depth of the flywheel, from the ledge from where the pressure plate sits, to the surface the clutch disc it runs against.
-The free height specification of the pressure plate, not installed on the flywheel from the underside of the plate cover to the surface that the clutch runs against.

Thanks

Terry
vcca #58150

Tiny
 Tiny
(@tiny)
Hall Monitor Moderator

I don't know if this will help or not. Scroll to .pdf page 24 (spec. page 18).

https://www.gm.com/content/dam/company/no_search/heritage-archive-docs/vehicle-information-kits/chevrolet/1937-Chevrolet.pdf

7046 old site posts
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet
1938 Master Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan

ReplyQuote
Tiny
 Tiny
(@tiny)
Hall Monitor Moderator

Also I would strongly recommend you invest in a Shop Manual. Reprints are available.

https://store.fillingstation.com/detail/DG-32/Chevrolet_1937_CARTRUCK_SHOP_MANUAL.html

7046 old site posts
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet
1938 Master Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan

ReplyQuote
JEC51
(@jec51)
Active Member Registered

I have a 37 Master that  I just installed a 235 in, so I have the original flywheel and clutch assembly sitting on a pallet.  I'll try to get some measurements for you.  Don't know how accurate my measurements will be, or if the clutch is spec but maybe it will help.  PM me if you need any of the components.  I don't need them.

ReplyQuote
JEC51
(@jec51)
Active Member Registered

Here are the measurements I came up with.  The flywheel step is 1.190".  My pressure plate measurements appear to be variable, so it probably needs some work or adjustment, between 1.088" and 1.094".  Hope this is some help.

ReplyQuote
(@terry-l-gemmell)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks all. It's looking like with the information provided that the shop can proceed with the clutch.

My sedan with the 216 and 3 speed appears to have had a 10-inch clutch disc instead of the 9-inch one that I provided to be installed. As I understand it a 10 was for a truck. Does anyone see a problem using the larger disc? I had also provided a used pressure plate to be used if needed. In comparison, the pressure plate that was removed from the vehicle was considerably stiffer when pressed by hand than the other. Was there a specific truck and passenger car pressure plate? If there were two types, would there be an advantage of one over the other or a negative?

ReplyQuote
35mike
(@35mike)
Eminent Member Registered

I looked in my Master Parts Catalog which covers 1929 through 1949 models. I could not find anything to indicate a difference between the truck and car pressure plates for 1937. I would strongly recommend that you use the 9 inch disk.

Mike

Many Miles of Happy Motoring
3469 Posts on Old VCCA Chat

ReplyQuote
(@anthony-williamson)
Member Moderator

I agree with Mike, if the parts book doesnt list a difference there most likely isnt. To settle your curiosity when you get the new clutch kit (including thrust bearing/bush) compare with the 1 you took out.

Tony

ReplyQuote
(@terry-l-gemmell)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I can tell you that the replacement pressure plate described as rebuilt for a 1934-37 that I bought over a year ago on eBay looked the same side to side with the one just removed. The shop doing the work noted that pressured plate action when pressed from the trans side (top?) was notably stiffer on the one removed from the car than the rebuilt one. Which make them wonder if it was possibly intended for a truck.

The throw-out bearing showed wear and was missing one of the clips. The new old stock bearing didn't come with any clips.

***Any chance anyone has someone has old clips or know where they could be obtained?

Terry

ReplyQuote
JEC51
(@jec51)
Active Member Registered

@terry-l-gemmell I sent you a PM last week  and told you that  I have one clip that I would give you.

ReplyQuote
35mike
(@35mike)
Eminent Member Registered

Terry,

These cars are prone to clutch chatter. I have experienced this on my 1935 Chevy Standard, and to a lesser extent, on my 1936 1-1/2 ton truck. There was a discussion of this on the old forum where Gene suggested that the factory springs were too weak. It is possible that a previous owner, of your car, installed a pressure plate with stiffer springs and a larger disk in an attempt to cure the chatter problem.

I have not had my coupe apart for many years but the clutch was rebuilt on my truck in the fairly recent past and I still experience chatter. It seems to occur mostly when I am backing into my barn. It is slightly up hill and I am slipping the clutch a bit to ease my way in.

I have no idea how the clutch knows which way I am going, unless there is some conspiracy going on with the transmission to aggravate and confuse me. If this is the case, their diabolical plan has been successful.

Mike 

Many Miles of Happy Motoring
3469 Posts on Old VCCA Chat

TonyW reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: