Notifications
Clear all

Clutch peddle return spring, should I have one?

Mr87Monty
(@timothy-kruger)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter  

1941 Master Deluxe original drive train.

There is a return spring for the brake and the throttle.  The is not one on the clutch.  I must assume that the only reason the clutch is returning to its proper position is the springs in the bell housing on the clutch.  Should there be another spring on the clutch peddle itself?  On the Filling Station I only see a generic spring for this car.  If it should be there where does it connect?

Hilton, New York
1941 Chevrolet Master Deluxe
1987 Monte Carlo LS
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Mr87Monty
(@timothy-kruger)
Topic starter  

I found the following two pictures in my shop manual and both show a spring connected to the peddle but not where it goes to.  A little research has also said this might be part number: GM# 3653114 that seems to be NAPA Part 615-1101.   Any of this sound right?

Screenshot 2024 04 05 112530
Screenshot 2024 04 05 112601

Hilton, New York
1987 Monte Carlo LS

ReplyQuote
Tiny
 Tiny
(@tiny)
Hall Monitor Moderator

I'll try to remember to sneak out and take a look at my 38 later today. It may be the same.

7046 old site posts
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet
1938 Master Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan

ReplyQuote
Tiny
 Tiny
(@tiny)
Hall Monitor Moderator

Not the best photos and I don't know how this translates to a 1941 but the spring attaches to a tab on the engine side pan and a tab on the clutch arm on my 38. The spring in question is the lower spring in the second photo.

ClutchSpring1
ClutchSpring2

7046 old site posts
1953 210 Sedan

ReplyQuote
Minetto
(@michael-falise)
Active Member Registered

Here are a couple pictures from a 48 but the 41 should be the same.  Notice the tab bolted to the frame in the second picture that the spring connects to.  Also note that the spring does not hook into the eye of the clutch linkage as shown in the second picture, rather it loops around the clutch fork as shown in the first picture.  Hope these help.  Mike

IMG 3267
IMG 3322

ReplyQuote
Tiny
 Tiny
(@tiny)
Hall Monitor Moderator

This is a 40 truck.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/235731/Searchpage/3/Main/37579/Words/clutch_UBBT_PHRASE_spring/Search/true/re-brake-pedal-return-spring.html#Post235731

7046 old site posts
1953 210 Sedan

ReplyQuote
Mr87Monty
(@timothy-kruger)
Topic starter  

Thank you all for the help.  We were able to track down the part and install it this Saturday.  Called my local NAPA with the part number and they still carried it.  They had to order it but it was in Saturday morning.  Had to get two since they came in a two pack and it was a special order.  Total came to ~$5.  Found the place on the frame to attach it.  We looped the spring around the clutch fork.  After doing this the clutch pedal is higher than it was.  

Hilton, New York
1987 Monte Carlo LS

ReplyQuote
Tiny
 Tiny
(@tiny)
Hall Monitor Moderator

Glad you got it figured out.

7046 old site posts