Notifications
Clear all

Moved Body to Correct Position on Frame

Nick Gurin
(@nicholas-gurin)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

The other day Steve Dalphonse (@steve-d ) stated in this forum that he had shimmed the body mounts on his vehicle. 

That got my attention because I had not considered whether the cab on my 1940 KC Pickup was correctly mounted or not. I only recently started on the project and since the cab was on the frame I assumed that it was mounted as it should be. I asked a few questions in the string responding to Steve's post and realized that I needed to look into what was involved with the cab mounting and shims.

This morning I thought that I had an incorrect frame, as the holes were not where they should have been...it turned out that the cab was not where it should have been!

With remote assistance from 35Mike, we figured out that someone had mounted the cab about 2 inches forward of where it was supposed to be. Perhaps that is why the person who started on this project gave up!

I watched a couple YouTube videos about how to lift the cab off the frame, but figured that since I only had to move the cab a couple of inches aft on the frame, there had to be a simpler way to do it. It turned out to be very easy.

I raised the cab front corners a small amount, one at a time, and inserted round socket wrench extensions between the bottom of the cab and the frame as rollers. After that as I was contemplating the next step, I realized that a light push would move the cab pretty easily. Using a stout screwdriver, I levered the cab around to line up with the correct mounting holes and the job was done.

I am still very new to this project and this group, but I have found it to be very helpful and supportive.

Thanks!

Nick

Nick Gurin
Taos, New Mexico
1940 KC 1/2 Ton Pickup

Tiny reacted
Topic Tags
Tiny
 Tiny
(@tiny)
Hall Monitor Moderator

I'm impressed with the problem solving skills. Good job.

7046 old site posts
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet
1938 Master Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan

Nick Gurin reacted
ReplyQuote
35mike
(@35mike)
Eminent Member Registered

I emailed Nick this morning and told him I am sending him a bill for consultation. Nothing is free in this world.

Mike

Many Miles of Happy Motoring
3469 Posts on Old VCCA Chat

Nick Gurin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@arthur-p-sell)
New Member Registered

Will it say "Services rendered"? Kinda vague and all encompassing.

Nick Gurin reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: