Notifications
Clear all

41 Chevy Father Son Project Progress

Mr87Monty
(@timothy-kruger)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter  

This is a continuation of the 1941 Father Sons project thread that was started on the old version of the forum. June 2018 purchased a car that was sitting for several yeas to rebuild as a fun car with my sons.  This is not a show car but for us to enjoy.  Anything we do to the car that is not original has a goal of being done in a way that can be undone if the next owner did want to restore it.  In the years since we started this they have grown up allot.  I am glad that we have documented this process over time and taken pictures of many of the days we were working on the car.  As of today the document I have for this has reached over 70 pages, not all posted here.  One day I hope to print this and give them each a copy.  To me the memories are worth far more that the car ever could be.  That was the goal and I am glad it is continuing to be met. 

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/467016/41-chevy-father-son-project-progress.html#Post467016

March 2024

Received a new old stock set of post and bushings for the shift linkage.  We replaced the linkage post and bushing for reverse and first.  The one for second and third was dry but not at all worn.  Lubed and oiled everything on the car.  Took it for the first drive of the year.  Shifted the best it ever has.  I had thought for some time that older cars may not have shifted as well or it was me just being out of practice.  Apparently it was a case of severely worn bushings.  Glad that we could start the year needing what seems to have been minimal work. to get on the road.

Screenshot 2024 04 01 112230
Screenshot 2024 04 01 112306

Easter 2024

Took the car out for the first real drive of the year to Easter sunrise service.  Had no issues at all.  Did find that the headlights are not properly aimed.  They were adequate when the high beams were on but the low beams the passenger aimed to low.  Did find that running the fog lights with the headlights would cause the breaker in the switch to trip.  That was a little nerve racking at 5:30 AM on a road with no lights and few markings.  It reset and there were no issues using the headlights only.  First time we had ever tried running the fogs other than to see if they worked.  Something to fix later.  Should be on different circuits.  Started out in the 30s and drove home no issue with it being about 39 out.  

Later that day we mounted the trim around the front windshield and started making some other interior panels.  The interior is being created as we go.  We know it is not how it was done back then but nothing is being done that cannot be undone if it is restored in the future.  Main goal is still to make it our project and to enjoy it.

Screenshot 2024 04 01 112332
Screenshot 2024 04 01 112359

Hilton, New York
1941 Chevrolet Master Deluxe
1987 Monte Carlo LS
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Ron Williams reacted
(@anthony-williamson)
Member Moderator

I like what you are doing especially including the younger generation my children werent that interested in cars of any vintage if they couldnt drive it immediately though 1 did help tidy the paint work. Keep up with the good work.

Tony

ReplyQuote
Mr87Monty
(@timothy-kruger)
Topic starter  

As time has gone on my oldest far prefers to do the interior and paint.  Youngest prefers to do electrical and mechanical.  Each are leans towards their talents.  One part that they did not like when we started but now have now issue with and keep up with is documentation.  When we took the car apart it was a bag it and tag it program.  Received allot of questions about why we were doing this when we would replace the hardware anyways.  They understood as things started to be put back together.  Also the trips to a store where I could matchup an old nut or bolt with the replacement made them understand the value.  

We bought the shop manual and in the rear of it the notes page is filled with a list of what color we replaced each wire with.  We made our own wiring harnesses for the car.  We had to add pages to the back of the manual for some of the notes.  Everything from turn signal instructions to hand drawn wire diagrams have been stapled to it.  They have learned the value of the documentation.

The goal of this project was to spend time together and that cannot be replaced.  The project has exceeded every goal I had for it.  The value is not in the car but the memories.    

Hilton, New York
1987 Monte Carlo LS

ReplyQuote
Keith C Knox
(@keith-c-knox)
Active Member Registered

Really interesting topic. Have been following from the beginning.

ReplyQuote
XLVII Lover
(@richard)
Eminent Member Registered

I look forward to every episode of this ongoing series of posts.

Dick

935 Old site posts

ReplyQuote
Mr87Monty
(@timothy-kruger)
Topic starter  

April 2024

Changed the oil, cleaned and oiled the air filter.  Youngest was surprised that the instructions on the filter said to clean in gas and use motor oil on it.  Had to explain that when I was a kid we used gas as a solvent to clean a lot of things.  I had forgotten how that is not a common practice anymore.  Also installed a new clutch return spring.  Not sure what happened to the one that was on the car or if it was ever there since we started working on it.  Last season we noticed that the clutch pedal was not returning to the normal position all of the time.  After adding the new spring it is now higher.  Surprisingly we were able to look up the NAPA part number in a NAPA parts book from the fifties.  When we called NAPA they were able to find the part and order it.  Since it was a custom order we had to get two since that is how they are packaged. 

Hilton, New York
1987 Monte Carlo LS

ReplyQuote
Mr87Monty
(@timothy-kruger)
Topic starter  

Not much done to the car in the last few days.  Spent a day and a half performing the yearly spring cleaning of the garage.  Only thing we did do to the car was to install a tissue dispenser that was found new in the box with the parts that came with the car.  Not sure what year it is from.

t1
t5

Hilton, New York
1987 Monte Carlo LS

Tiny reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr87Monty
(@timothy-kruger)
Topic starter  

Knowing that the interior is taking far longer than we expected and that we are entering the time when we would rather be riding than working my oldest decided to paint the uncovered areas to match the color of the interior.  Found that the Rustoleum Almond closely matches the fabric we will be using for the upper portion.  First he found several staples from the old interior that had to be removed.  He masked the area off and painted it.  Let it dry and then added a coat.  Not as good as the interior panels will be but far better than the metal that did not match anything.  The lighter color makes it look better.  Definitely one of those little task that while not needing to be done make what has been done look that much better. 

While my oldest was painting the interior my youngest and I made mats to be attached below the doors of the car where one steps in.  The section of the floor under the doors had been patched by a prior owner on one.  The drivers was dented and the others were definitely not in the best shape cosmetically.  When painting the car they were painted and did match but we thought it could be better.  With the parts for the car there was a cover that fit one of the rears but the rubber on it was hardened and brittle.  To make our own we sandwiched a piece of galvanized steel between two pieces of rubber cut from a  runner used to protect carpet.  Used some contact cement to hold it together.  Then screwed them to the car.  Looks better than before they were there.  Time will tell if they hold up.

Screenshot 2024 04 16 092418
Screenshot 2024 04 16 092126
Screenshot 2024 04 16 092041
Screenshot 2024 04 16 091742
Screenshot 2024 04 16 092446

Hilton, New York
1987 Monte Carlo LS

TonyW reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: