Notifications
Clear all

Generator

(@david-black)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I need help on rewiring the connections to my generator.  I rebuilt it but lost the pics I had to properly wire it.

IMG 5387
IMG 5388

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by David Black

Topic Tags
(@anthony-williamson)
Member Moderator

I am not sure of the connections that are needed though I suspect it is a 3 brush generator so someone with better knowledge than me will chime in and solve your problem.

Tony

ReplyQuote
(@david-black)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Yes, it is a 3 brush generator. I was hoping for a sketch or drawing to show it.  I have looked on line but to date I have not found the answer.  

ReplyQuote
Steve Dalphonse
(@steve-d)
Eminent Member Registered

@david-black I bring my starters and generators to a rebuilder in Merrimack-auto electric Warehouse (Dana Merrill) . It's a one man shop that has been doing electrical for many years . Prices are good and the work is excellent. His phone number is 603-424-3820.

7472 old site post

ReplyQuote
Stovblt
(@ole-olson)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi David

Are you looking for something like this?

3rd brush

Not sure what you have beyond the generator in your case, so just disregard the cutout/regulator part of the diagram.

Ole S Olson
Saskatoon, Sask, Canada
1139 old site posts

ReplyQuote
(@david-black)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@steve-d-7472 thanks for the info and call.   I will check it out.  Also got and image below and I think this will help greatly

ReplyQuote
(@david-black)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  
  • I have the wires in the correct place.   Now I am working on installing the rotor into the housing and I have a tight fit.  In other words no clearance with the armature.   I know the parts are correct.  Does anybody have any insight on this issue

ReplyQuote
Minetto
(@michael-falise)
Active Member Registered

Have you tried it with both end caps installed?  Unless both ends of the armature are supported in the bearings the fit can be misleading.

ReplyQuote
(@david-black)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

The armature would not fit into the field coil    I needed to compress the field coil while I tightened the retaining valve seat screw on the out side of the housing.  I used C-clamps to compress the coils. I had the clamps on the large metal piece that holds the coils in place.  Hope this makes sense.  I should say that the armature and field coils where NOS.  So the cloth wrapping on the coils was fresh and not already compressed.  Not sure if I did this right, but I could not find any info on the matter

ReplyQuote
Stovblt
(@ole-olson)
Estimable Member Registered

@david-black 

Hi David

I was going to ask if you'd had the field coils and poles out as I suspected you had.

I have always refrained from doing that, and usually go looking for a replacement frame with good intact fields if I have a generator with bad fields.

I believe there was actually a special tool that went inside and "jacked" the poles out against the frame when installing.

So...

I suspect you still don't have the poles tight against the frame and you'll need to do whatever is necessary to accomplish that.

Ole S Olson
Saskatoon, Sask, Canada
1139 old site posts

ReplyQuote
Minetto
(@michael-falise)
Active Member Registered

I have never replaced the poles and field coils either.  I did find however, the following sketch and text in the 1949 Motors Manual.

IMG 1171
IMG 1172

ReplyQuote
(@david-black)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you for your insights.   I feel more comfortable that the coils did require a tool to force them against the housing inner wall without destroying them.   I will let you know if I can generate voltage once I complete the assembly.

ReplyQuote
Share: