Notifications
Clear all

what am I missing or doing wrong ?

Victor Torres
(@33guy)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter  

Car won't start, it will only start when I use a jump wire from the plus side of the battery to the coil & push the  button on the bottom of the starter relay/ solenoid. I am using a late model ignition switch. Coil is connected to ignition switch ignition, Battery is hooked to batt side of switch. Start is hooked to where ? Iv'e tried everywhere. I should get it to run by using the coil & battery side of the switch. Should it be fused ? Did 1933 have a foot start or push button start ???

(@anthony-williamson)
Member Moderator

I dont think the 33 had a hand pushed button to crank that is done by a foot operated button/pedal just forward of the gear shift lever (another anti theft device). Your ignition switch should work with battery hot wire to bat and coil to ign with key in the run position. I am not sure when some models had the starter operated by the accelerator pedal but I think it was several years later.

Tony

ReplyQuote
35mike
(@35mike)
Eminent Member Registered

Your 1933 Master would have originally been equipped with the Starterater which started the car by pressing the accelerater pedal.

If you are using a modern switch with a start position, you will need a wire from the start terminal, on the switch, to a small terminal on the relay/solenoid. This energizes the relay when you hold the key in the start position. Some relays have more than one small terminal. I suspect that yours has only one, if it has the pushbutton built in. These were usually seen on tractors. Make sure the relay is made for the voltage of the car. If the relay is for a 6 volt Ford tractor, it might make a difference that the tractor was positive ground.

There are dozens of versions of these relays that look pretty much alike, but are wired different. Some ground to energize, some use a hot wire to energize, some ground through the base, some do not.

Mike

Many Miles of Happy Motoring
3469 Posts on Old VCCA Chat

Ed Osier reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: