Door gap to body sh...

Notifications
Clear all

Door gap to body sheet metal

(@david-siedschlag)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

At one point I thought I saw a post that said that the distance between the door sheet metal and the body sheet metal was about 1/8 of an inch.  I have tried to search and find where I thought I saw that and can not find anything to confirm the distance.

Can anyone speak to how far away the door actually would be gaped off the body?  It is for a 28LO, but I would guess it would be typical across all wood framed cars or trucks.

Tiny
 Tiny
(@tiny)
Hall Monitor Moderator

I can't speak specifically to a 28 but generally fit and finish weren't at the top of the must have list in those days. The gaps on my 38 are horrible by today's standards. If it was me I would just try to center it the best you can and make sure all of the weather stripping seals properly. In fact you can tell when a car of that era has been altered if the gaps are good.

7046 old site posts
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet
1938 Master Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan

ReplyQuote
(@anthony-williamson)
Member Moderator

I am not saying that there isnt a specific gap noted somewhere in the literature but I adjusted the door gaps so they are reasonably and the doors opened and closed properly.

Tony

ReplyQuote
(@david-siedschlag)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Tony that's kinda what I am shooting for now, or maybe better said so there is at least some space with no metal to metal contact. I don't know if any additional should be allowed for flexing while driving.  Maybe I am overthinking it and I will just be bound to get some chips and rubs of paint at some point anyway.

David

ReplyQuote
Share: