Notifications
Clear all

Fuel vacuum pump priming?

(@todd-hendrickson)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Getting close to starting my ‘28 after complete restoration…how do I prime the fuel pump?

Chip
 Chip
(@chip)
Member Moderator

You can take off the top and pour in up to a quart of gasoline put the top on and go. Or since I don't want to have to make a new gasket I have a small piece of tubing with a 90 deg. bend that has fitting on one end and small funnel on the other. Pour in the gas, reinstall the line from the gas tank and go.

How sweet the roar of a Chevy four
Participant on Chatter since 11/22/2001
19758 posts on the former Chatter site

ReplyQuote
(@todd-hendrickson)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks Chip

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell-grexa)
New Member Registered

I usually prime the pump just as chip stated. The repair manual states to turn the motor over until the vacuum pulls the fuel from the tank. I tried this method but it takes forever. Direct pour in the canister is much faster. If you do not want to take anything apart, you can always spray starter fluid in the air cleaner. So long as the engine starts the fuel pull will occur.

ReplyQuote
Rustoholic
(@rustoholic)
ChatMaster Moderator

To avoid having to take the top of the tank off to prime it, I added a 1/8" NPT tee into the inlet line with a plug that I can easily take out in order to squirt some gas in there. See the photo with the red circle.

To facilitate squirting the gas, I have an empty Coke bottle with a tube attached to the cap.

To fill the bottle with gas, I added a gas valve inline under the gas tank so I can fill the bottle directly from the tank, thus eliminating the need for a portable gas can. See the other two photos.

I keep the gas squirt bottle with the truck in the toolbox that I keep in the truck's bed.

Cheers, Dean

vacuum tank circled
VacTankPrimingBottle
GasValveUnderTank

Dean "Rustoholic" Meltz
San Leandro, CA
3511 posts on vccachat.org

ReplyQuote
(@ronald-s-beam)
New Member Registered

I've been known to remove the gas cap and blow hard into the tank, but I wouldn't recommend it. 😜 

ReplyQuote
(@todd-hendrickson)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks gentlemen. Great info!

ReplyQuote
Share: