I love my job
... only when I'm on vacation.

Today's Birthdays
28boattail, artronic22, Bama31, K1w1Guy
Featured Chat Guy (or Gal)
VCCA Member Photos
 31' 5 passenger lower quarter interior panel. B
K&N clamp on filter
31' 5 passenger lower quarter interior panel.
32  Special Front Pillar post
Test
Carter RJH-08 150S Needle
VCCA Member Projects
AZ Amando's 31' 5pass Coupe, Interior, Headliner
Arizona Amando's 31' 5pass CP, Body, roof, D
Arizona Amando's 31' 5pass CP, Body, roof, C
Arizona Amando's 31' 5pass CP, Body, roof, B
Arizona Amando's 31' 5pass CP, Body, roof, A
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393384 - 08/07/17 09:14 AM 1928 engine leaking oil at front
nkcarizona Offline
Grease Monkey

Loc: AZ
Finally got my /27 truck with /28 engine running. When I shut down after a short time running (haven't gone for any long drives yet) a fair amount of oil drips out at the front of the engine. I understand that this leak may be due to oil failing to return to the oil pan. In the newer 6 cylinder engines I think there is an oil passage from the timing gear back to the pan. Is this true in the 4 cylinders? Can I access and clean it from below with the oil pan removed? Is there another explanation for the leak (cork gasket not in place)?

The Filling Station 1912-28
#393385 - 08/07/17 09:47 AM Re: 1928 engine leaking oil at front [Re: nkcarizona]
Rustoholic Offline

Loc: San Leandro, CA
Hi and Welcome to the site!

This is the best place and best club for getting your questions answered about these old timers.

Here is a past thread that discusses your question: http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/141116

Cheers, Dean

#393493 - 08/10/17 11:55 AM Re: 1928 engine leaking oil at front [Re: Rustoholic]
nkcarizona Offline
Grease Monkey

The thread you sent me to was helpful. I am fairly sure that my leak is due to oil collecting in the timing gear cover and not getting back to the oil pan. The thread did not answer whether the oil passage from the timing gear cover can be cleaned from below after removing the oil pan or whether I need to pull the timing gear cover (and radiator and crank pulley). Any thoughts on this?

#393498 - 08/10/17 04:51 PM Re: 1928 engine leaking oil at front [Re: nkcarizona]
Rustoholic Offline

Hi again,

Luckily, I am in the middle of rebuilding a '28 engine, so today I took a couple of pictures of the cam gear area.

The first photo below shows the cam gear area. Notice the curved sheet metal scoop in between the gears. This cup catches extra oil that is slung around the gears and allows the oil to return to the block.

The second photo shows inside the block behind the area shown in photo one. The hole that is circled in red is the where the extra slung oil flows from the cam gear area back into the block.

Yes, you can reach this hole from under the engine with the oil pan taken off.

That being said, the oil catcher cup is about two inches above the bottom of the cam gear box. There is no oil drain hole at the bottom of the cam gear box.

Oil WILL build up around the crank cam gear. If the cam gear cover has a leak, it's gonna leak.

Cheers, Dean

#393523 - 08/11/17 08:34 AM Re: 1928 engine leaking oil at front [Re: Rustoholic]
nkcarizona Offline
Grease Monkey

Thanks Dean, that totally clears it up. Guess I will be pulling the timing gear cover. This truck had been sitting for many years. Needed lots of work, just never got to the front of the engine.

#393529 - 08/11/17 11:24 AM Re: 1928 engine leaking oil at front [Re: nkcarizona]
Rustoholic Offline

You're welcome! While you have the oil pan off, make sure the oil reservoirs that feed the main bearings are clear of sludge. It is also a good time to inspect the whole bottom end.

If you join the VCCA, there are a lot of benefits, such as:
  • An award-winning monthly magazine
  • Being able to use the search function to find previous posts with gobs of info
  • An online technical library. One particular tech article of interest is Ray Holland's 'School is in Session', where he details his rebuild of a 1928 engine.
  • The ability to post photos of your project on the VCCA's server

Keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers, Dean

Edited by Rustoholic (08/11/17 11:26 AM)

#393566 - 08/12/17 09:37 AM Re: 1928 engine leaking oil at front [Re: Rustoholic]
Rustoholic Offline

Some more thoughts:

• Totally clean up the area at the bottom of the cam gear box so you can see exactly where the oil is dripping from.
  • Another possible location for the oil leak is where the cam gear box back plate meets the block. If this is the case, you'll have to pull the crank cam gear and the cam shaft in order to take off that back plate.
  • There are also a few bolts in that area that go into the bottom cavity of the block. Oil can seep around the threads of these bolts and are potential leak spots. Such bolts should have Permetex #3 or some such on the threads when installing. For example, one of the 1/2 bolts on the front mounting bracket and the two front 1/4-20 oil pan bolts are 'through' bolts. So are the bolts that hold on the oil filter bracket.

One other note of caution: all the coarse threads for 1/2 inch bolts on this engine are 12 threads per inch, NOT 13. Be careful when cleaning these thread holes.

Cheers, Dean

Moderator:  490 Jim, AntiqueMechanic 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
10 Chat Members (dens41, 37ryan, IMFALCO, Hawkeye, R4N32, novasscott, piddler, Chipper, Back Roads, 1 invisible), 26 Lookie Loo's and 126 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!
Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photos
Newest Chat Registration
Grubin, autonut, ghill, thill, Jesuchristo
14949 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
14949 Chat Users
77 Forums
49818 Topics
363017 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 03:00 AM
See the USA
In your
Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.