55th installment - '28 engine tear down
54th installment - '28 engine tear down
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#391752 - 07/05/17 05:47 PM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Rustoholic Offline

Loc: San Leandro, CA
The first item to go back into the block is the oil distributor.

You can see in the photo below the two holes in the block where it mounts.

In the exploded view of the parts, there are a couple of things to notice. Under the spring-loaded valve, there was a gasket that came out in pieces. I couldn't find a washer the same size (1/2 ID x 5/8 OD), so I made one out of a flattened piece of copper.

In the oil-on-the-towel-circle, there is a small curlyque of hard plastic that was caught in the spring valve. I have no idea what it is or where it came from. rudolph

In the bottom photo, I am starting to put the oil distributor into the block. Notice the hole on the side of the oil distributor body. This hole squirts oil into the oil reservoir for the center main bearing.

Cheers, Dean

Edited by Rustoholic (07/05/17 06:13 PM)

The Filling Station 1912-28
#391753 - 07/05/17 06:00 PM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Rustoholic Offline

With the oil distributor in place, here's another view of the oil squirting hole. You can see why it is hard to see when the distributor is installed.

The next two pics illustrate attaching the fittings that go through the block. I smeared Permatex 3 on the two copper washers to prevent oil from leaking at these points.

Dean

#391754 - 07/05/17 06:10 PM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Rustoholic Offline

Here are some pictures of the completely installed oil distributor. I smeared some Permatex 3 on the two copper washers on the bolts that hold the oil tube brackets because these bolts go through the block and are potential spots for oil leaks.

Thanks again to Ray Holland and his 'School is in Session' book which gave me the heads up to think about all bolts that go through the block. thanku

Cheers, Dean

#391865 - 07/08/17 12:49 AM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Qman Offline

Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: Rocklin, CA
Dean

something to consider....On my last rebuild, i gave the block a nice coat of paint before i got too far along. Then as i continued with the build it was a little easier installing items that were cleaned an painted the correct color (black or gray/green)

This made it easier than masking stuff off later

#391876 - 07/08/17 06:42 AM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Qman]
Rustoholic Offline

Good point, Mike, if I intended to paint the engine.

Nope. Not gonna do it. Lurch has that 'survivor' vibe going on and I don't want to disturb that.

laugh Dean

Edited by Rustoholic (07/08/17 06:48 AM)
Edit Reason: changed some words

#391879 - 07/08/17 08:27 AM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Chipper Offline

Loc: The Great State of TEXAS
Guess when you are nearly finished with the installation you will need to squirt some oil on the engine and throw dust on the fresh oil. That way you will simulate the old original look.

You surely don't want to have a "fresh" engine take away from the "out of the barn" appearance.

#391887 - 07/08/17 11:20 AM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
28National Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Rustoholic
Good point, Mike, if I intended to paint the engine.

Nope. Not gonna do it. Lurch has that 'survivor' vibe going on and I don't want to disturb that.

laugh Dean

And as I've found out it's so hard maintaining that survivor look, every nut you undo takes a little bit away and it'll never be the same, and it takes ages for those patina pixies to put it back! :-)

Thanks for posting your progress here, I have to rebuild my 28 motor soon and I'm hoping to learn a few things.

Bernard

Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

#391941 - 07/09/17 09:45 AM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: 28National]
Rustoholic Offline

Hmmm, I have a can full of black gold (sludge). Maybe I'll smear some on the engine after I'm sure everything works. yay

Cheers, Dean

#392024 - 07/11/17 05:39 AM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Stuart Offline
Grease Monkey

Loc: Kent, England
Originally Posted By: Rustoholic
After cutting out the hole for the thermostat, I drilled the holes for the two 1/4x20x1/2 brass bolts that will hold the bracket in place. For drilling sheet metal, I like using a stepped unibit type of drill bit. It cuts nicely and does not grab like a normal bit would do.

Next, I cut off the extra material using a hack saw and tin snips.

Viola!! Thermostat installed. One small step for mankind, one.... well, you get the idea.

Cheers, Dean

This is a really useful thread, thanks for taking the time to post.

I have '28 motor rebuild under way now. One of the things I am doing is fitting a modern thermostat (looks identical to yours) on mine, I have drilled a small hole in the thermostat rim which should prevent a potential air lock when filling the rad from cold, and also should allow just enough flow before the stat opens to prevent really hot water in the block being replaced by ice cold water from the rad when the thermostat does open during cold weather.

#392120 - 07/12/17 08:10 PM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Stuart]
Rustoholic Offline

Thanks for the thanks, Stuart and Bernard. I don't keep a diary of my daily activities, but I wanted to capture this effort, so this thread does that for me in a wonder way!

Regarding the hole that you drilled in the thermostat flange, I understand your point, but I'm not going to do the same for the following reasons:

• Since the new thermostat did not come with a hole in the rim (and this thermostat is for a 1955 car), I suspect the thermostat designers don't think the extra hole is necessary.
  • Since I live in California, our weather is really mild, so I don't worry about extreme temperatures. If Lurch ultimately moves to a snowy climate, his new caretaker will have to consider whether or not he needs this hole in his head. wink

Cheers, Dean

Edited by Rustoholic (07/12/17 08:14 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#392325 - 07/16/17 02:44 PM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Rustoholic Offline

The next series of notes and pics cover the crankshaft and main bearings.

Earlier, I made the decision to use the following parts from Lurch's engine: front bearings, rear bearings, crankshaft, and flywheel. From Dick Olson's engine, I'm using the block and the middle main bearings.

The first picture below shows the bearing halves. When I looked closer at them individually, I noticed that some of the babbitt material migrated into the oil flow channels, thus clogging them.

I used a small, sharp hobby knife to cut and scrape the babbitt out of where it should not be. The next few photos illustrate this operation.

Cheers, Dean

#392326 - 07/16/17 02:47 PM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Rustoholic Offline

Here are some more pics of the main bearing cleanup operation.

Cheers, Dean

#392362 - 07/17/17 08:52 AM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Rustoholic Offline

Now comes a big moment of truth. Will these parts work together? (drum roll please!) Yes, but only after a few hiccups along the way.

I put the block half bearings in place and laid the crankshaft into them. Everything looks good so far (see the first photo). BTW, I had the crankshaft and flywheel balanced and polished. cool

Starting with the rear main bearing, I put some Plastigage on the crank, put the cap and bearing on, and tightened the bolts. I used around 50 foot pounds of pressure. This seemed appropriate for the 9/16-12 bolts. With no shims under the cap, the Plastigage indicated a .002 inch gap. Good to go! yay

Cheers, Dean

Edited by Rustoholic (07/17/17 09:08 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#392368 - 07/17/17 10:06 AM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic]
Chipper Offline

Loc: The Great State of TEXAS
Dean,
I have not had good experience with plasigauge and thick babbitt bearings. It can be used as a gross indication of the gap but only that. I am thinking that the babbitt and plastigauge are both flexible enough to compress a bit where the plastigauge is installed, thereby giving a close but false reading. The setting process in the Repair Manual is the best and most reliable.

Since you have a 0.002" indicated gap between the crankshaft and bearing I suggest you obtain some 0.001" sheet shim material (brass is my choice). Wrap a single layer around the crankshaft the same width as the bearing. Lubricate with light oil. Now place the crankshaft in place, lightly tighten the bearing cap and try to rotate the crankshaft. If it does rotate tighten to your intended torque and test again. If still rotates add another layer of 0.001" shim stock and test again. Once the crank does not rotate you will have a much better indication of the actual gap.

#392374 - 07/17/17 11:05 AM Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Chipper]
Rustoholic Offline

Thanks, Chipper. I agree that Plastigage is only an indicator. As you will see in future posts, I followed a similar vein to what you suggest.

Cheers, Dean

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  490 Jim, AntiqueMechanic 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
12 Chat Members (Steelin_Time, 63novaandy, chevytech3238, Sky1928, 36chev4DR, wesb, Dave39MD, 31chevyjg, HCB, jiaccino, johndee138, AntiqueMechanic), 22 Lookie Loo's and 25 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!
Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photos
Newest Chat Registration
RonB, pjsloan, LarryR, Mikecrownover, Cleary
14760 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
14760 Chat Users
77 Forums
48995 Topics
358472 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 03:00 AM
See the USA
In your
Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.