Grease Monkey

Loc: MI - Michigan
does anyone know the new code for ppg cream medium for the 1941 year

Chevy Trucks
#392231 - 07/15/17 02:37 AM Re: paint color [Re: 1ea]
Lou Offline

Backyard Mechanic

Loc: Northern, Ca.
The old codes are located at <http://home.znet.com/c1937/paint.htm>. If you have a sample, take it to your paint shop and they can scan it with their spectrometer.
Here is a picture of cream medium bottom of page. <http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com/2017/05/1942-chevrolet-car-truck-paint-chips.html>.

#392312 - 07/16/17 11:37 AM Re: paint color [Re: Lou]
Greg_H Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: Enid, OK
Originally Posted By: Lou
The old codes are located at <http://home.znet.com/c1937/paint.htm>. If you have a sample, take it to your paint shop and they can scan it with their spectrometer.
Here is a picture of cream medium bottom of page. <http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com/2017/05/1942-chevrolet-car-truck-paint-chips.html>.

It is my understanding that a paint spectrophotometer has limitations. In that like ink or toner which uses limited pigments, magenta, cyan, yellow, black, It can not give an exact formula for any color. Paint has a much broader variety of pigments so that the spectrophotometer can only pick a color that it reads as closest to the measured color and gives the formula that is in it's database. A good paint mixer can usually take it from there and tint for a closer match but it is done with a good eye and experience. If the formula is not in the database, the spectrometer can not give one to match.

#392314 - 07/16/17 12:45 PM Re: paint color [Re: Greg_H]
Chipper Offline

Loc: The Great State of TEXAS
Perceived paint color is due to the reflection of light that reaches our eyes. Both wave length and intensity contribute to our perception of color. Unfortunately the light source is also a critical factor. If a wave length is not present in the light source it can not be reflected. Also a factor is the surface as wavelength(s) can shift and intensity reduced by imperfections and how deep the light penetrates before reflected. If the light does not reflect back to the observer or instrument it will not be a factor in the perceived or measured color.

A spectrometer is an instrument that measures wavelength and intensity. They can be very accurate in the measurements but still due to the above factors not result in a perfect match.

The library of color matches was determined under a particular light source with the meter a given distance, color samples specially prepared and likely no other sources to provide interference. The scan of a painted surface by the local paint supplier does not have the luxury of those controlled pristine conditions and therefore, can be not be expected to be 100% accurate. Given all that, the matches more often than not can be more accurate than our eyes.

Moderator:  37Blue 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
2 Chat Members (Truck1927, 1 invisible), 13 Lookie Loo's and 89 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!
Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photos
Newest Chat Registration
Cooterchevy, 1967Malibu, tomb715, hdchevroletusa, millyferry
14986 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
14986 Chat Users
79 Forums
49641 Topics
363152 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 03:00 AM
See the USA
In your
Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.