38th installment - '28 engine tear down
37th installment - '28 engine tear down
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#390949 - 06/19/17 08:28 AM Windshield Wipers
MoonshineMachine Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: Eastern NC
So I am working on getting my windshield wipers up and running and I am slightly confused by them. I have never had a vehicle with vacuum wipers and maybe I don't fully understand how they should operate.

The main concern I have at this point is that they are always "loose". Meaning, I can grab either wiper and easily move it by hand across the windshield with no resistance. Is this normal or is there a problem with the wiper transmissions or attachment? They appear new, as does the linkage and motor.

When turned on, the passenger wiper will operate very slowly but will not retract when off. The driver wiper does nothing. The chains are intact. Not sure if I have an adjustment issue, a motor issue, or a vacuum issue.

The Filling Station 1937-42
#390953 - 06/19/17 09:38 AM Re: Windshield Wipers [Re: MoonshineMachine]
old216 Offline

Loc: Bracebridge Ontario,Canada
There have been some posts on here on how to revive the wiper motor. In your case you must have a transmission linkage that has disengaged or is missing. Normally the two wipers are mechanically bound to act together.

#390996 - 06/20/17 06:30 AM Re: Windshield Wipers [Re: MoonshineMachine]
cskennedy10 Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: Calhoun, Louisiana
It sounds like the set screw or nut may be loose where the wiper arm attaches. If these are not tight and the shaft moves back and forth, the splines (teeth) on the shaft could wear out the softer metal splines in the wiper arm. If you find the splines in the wiper arm are worn out, then you can purchase new ones. Before I completely rebuilt my wiper assembly (1940) I had wiper arms that had a spring activated cover that hid the wiper arm attachment screws. You had to lift the cap up to acces these screws. I have replaced those arms with the type that doesn't have this cover.

It's not that big of a deal to take good photos (so you have a good reference on how to put it back together) of the entire assembly and then remove it and do a complete rebuild on the wiper system. If you ever decide to rebuild the system, it'll be much easier if you could carefully remove the front seat. You'll be glad you did! I sent my Trico vacuum motor off for a complete rebuild. Many parts are available at Chevs of the 40's and the Filling Station. I believe Chevs of the 40's has a rebuild service.

Good luck!
Curt

Moderator:  37Blue, ChevyBill, Coupefan 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
12 Chat Members (RonPenn, canadiantim, 31chevyjg, Tiny, paul353, Oldie, Bill Barker, Bowtie Bob, pushrod, BearsFan315, duhen, 1 invisible), 28 Lookie Loo's and 108 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!
Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photos
Newest Chat Registration
BobThompson, officered, waynethorpe, Diaz, RichFr
14713 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
14713 Chat Users
77 Forums
48753 Topics
357159 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 03:00 AM
See the USA
In your
Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.