38th installment - '28 engine tear down
37th installment - '28 engine tear down
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#389663 - 05/23/17 10:04 AM 39 Coupe rear quarter window and back glass tack
Brewskiehunter Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: Vancouver BC
Can someone tell me how the headliner materiel attaches to the body around the rear quarter windows and rear windshield under the garnish moldings? I see staples in the metal jambs around the glass but nothing else. Was there some form of tack strip stapled into the body metal? what does everyone use today to hold the headliner cloth in?

Thanks,
Mike

#390208 - 06/03/17 07:14 PM Re: 39 Coupe rear quarter window and back glass tack [Re: Brewskiehunter]
Mike Buller Offline

Loc: MI, USA, Midland
Today, the headliner is attached onto a plastic tack strip about 1/8th of an inch thick. The strips used around the windows are help in place by rivets. While the job is not real difficult it does require a lot of patience and the ability to work in a lot of uncomfortable positions.

I spaced the rivets about every 4 inches, and used a clamp, where possible, to help hold the tack strip in place. My learning curve is SLOW so it did take a little experimenting to develop an efficient method for drilling the holes so the tack strip didn't have any bulges.

I replaced all my tack strip, even though I could have had my upholster do it. The job is time consuming and I wanted to save some money, and liked the challenge of figuring out how to do it. I probably have over 8 hours of work in removing the old tack strip and installing the new.

Good luck, Mike

#390709 - 06/14/17 07:14 AM Re: 39 Coupe rear quarter window and back glass tack [Re: Mike Buller]
Brewskiehunter Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: Vancouver BC
Thanks Mike for the explanation and the pictures.. with a tack strip of only 1/8" thick what tack are you using? The tack would hold some headliner material in addition to the 1/8" tack strip thickness but that sounds like a very small tack?

Mike

Moderator:  Chevykid 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
10 Chat Members (paul353, Oldie, Bill Barker, Bowtie Bob, pushrod, BearsFan315, duhen, 31chevyjg, jiaccino, 31 Chevy Guy), 24 Lookie Loo's and 111 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!
Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photos
Newest Chat Registration
BobThompson, officered, waynethorpe, Diaz, RichFr
14713 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
14713 Chat Users
77 Forums
48753 Topics
357159 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 03:00 AM
See the USA
In your
Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.