18th installment - '28 engine tear down
32' Olds DCR, B, Engine
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#386646 - 03/29/17 11:17 AM Quirks of the 1918 490 Truck
tnsdean Offline
Grease Monkey

Loc: WA
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some mechanical information on the 490 truck. I'm writing a book where a character has a flat on his 1918 chevy 490 truck. Can anyone tell me if changing the tire on it would be any different than changing a tire on a modern vehicle? Does the truck have any quirks, or unique features that would be worth mentioning?

There is more information available on Fords, but I'm a Chevy gal!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

#386671 - 03/29/17 06:14 PM Re: Quirks of the 1918 490 Truck [Re: tnsdean]
Chipper Offline

Loc: The Great State of TEXAS
Changing tires on a 490 is nothing like a modern vehicle. Tires are mounted on a rim which is exchanged with another rim with a tire. Tires are removed from the rim using a tire tool that pries the tire bead over the edge of the rim. Process is the same as early Model T Fords.

#386690 - 03/30/17 04:26 AM Re: Quirks of the 1918 490 Truck [Re: tnsdean]
m006840 Offline

Loc: merrimack nh
If you Google 1918 chevy 490 and look at the photos you can see the tire and rim that Chipper refers to. The rim and tire are held on with wheel clamps fastened with nuts placed on studs. The wheel remains on the axle and just the tire and rim are removed. Changing the tire and rim assembly is not a big deal as long as the tire is already mounted on a spare rim. As he stated a special tool is required to install the tire on a rim and that can be a challenging process.

#386708 - 03/30/17 07:29 AM Re: Quirks of the 1918 490 Truck [Re: m006840]
Rustoholic Online

Loc: San Leandro, CA
The best way to understand the tire changing process is to visit a VCCA member and help them change a tire! laugh

If you get to the SF Bay Area, I'd be happy to show you.

Just short of that...

Joe and his family were out for a Sunday's drive the old Chevy truck. Suddenly, they heard a hissing sound and the right rear tire went flat. Curses!! Luckily, Joe had a spare tire mounted on the spare rim already, so all he had to do was safely jack up the offending wheel, take off the wheel clamp nuts and wheel clamps, pull the rim with the flat off, and put the spare rim on the wheel, along with the clamps and nuts. 20 minutes later, the family was back on the road to Grandma's house for Sunday dinner.

As they drove on, Joe remembered a time when he and the family had a flat in worse circumstances. It was raining and they already had had a flat that day, so the spare tire's inner tube had not been repaired yet. Dang! A second flat meant that he had to take out the inner tube and repair it.

First, since they were on a dirt road and it was raining, he had to find something solid to put under the jack to keep it from sinking into the mud. After a futile search of the area, he settled for the floor boards in the cab (and crossed his fingers that they would not break).

He found some good sized rocks to use as wheel chocks, put on the emergency brake, and jacked up the wheel with the flat. After taking off the wheel clamp nuts and the clamps themselves, he found that the outer rim was stuck on the inner rim (the felloe). Grrrrr. Then he remembered a trick he learned from his mechanic. Finding a rock that was around 5 pounds, he struck the backside of the wheel (under the truck) at the opposite side of the air inlet and voila, the stuck wheel popped off.

Next came the chore of unlatching the split rim latch, using the rim tool to compress the rim somewhat (not too much or the he'd damage (bend) the rim), use the tire irons to pry the tire off, take out the tire flap, pull the tube out, find the hole and fix it (another whole process unto itself).

Then came the fun part, putting it back together again, being careful to NOT re-puncture the inner tube, pump up the tire, and continue on the drive. He SWORE to himself that he would always carry a good space tire with air in it from now on.

Cheers, Dean

Edited by Rustoholic (03/30/17 07:31 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

Moderator:  AntiqueMechanic, Bob_Kerr 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
3 Chat Members (Arend, Floats, chebby48), 29 Lookie Loo's and 108 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!
Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photos
Newest Chat Registration
grossie73, 1984bickmaster, HHH, Ebuar, 31568
14604 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
14604 Chat Users
77 Forums
48193 Topics
354197 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 03:00 AM
See the USA
In your
Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.