89th installment - '28 engine tear down
88th installment - '28 engine tear down
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142903 - 05/08/09 01:58 PM Gear shifter
Jay28 Offline
Backyard Mechanic

Loc: Canada, Alberta
Does anybody know how to remove shift rod play???
My 28 shifter seem's to be very loose when not in gear, I know that there should be some play in it when its in neutral.
It is tight when in gear, and seem's to be overly loose in neutral, Is there a way to remove some of this play and tighten up this excess travel on the shift rod??
It's like a chunk of rebar in a 4" tin can with no lid.
Or is this common thing for these tran's???
Any info would be greatly helpful.

Keeping vintage Chevy alive.

The Filling Station 1912-28
#142912 - 05/08/09 03:21 PM Re: Gear shifter [Re: Jay28]
Oldie Offline

pumpjockey

Loc: The Villages, Florida
Jay28,

I've reworked three 1928 Chevrolets with gear shift lever loosness just as you describe.

Start by removing the lever from the tower by forcing the center sheet metal cap downward while rotating it counter clockwise about 10. That will unlatch the cap and allow removal of the shilt lever.

You'll notice a half sphear attached to the shift lever about 4 to 5 inches above the lower end and it has two vertical slots (ways) 180 apart. You'll more than likely find that the side walls of the slots are worn. This wear can be repaired by welding the worn areas and then filling the excess to obtain the original shape.

At the upper end of the transmission shift tower, where you extracted the shift lever, you'll see two cylinder type pins inside the tower that are probably worn on each side of each pin. I'm going by memory here so don't hold me to the exact numbers but the pins (or cylinders) are about 5/15" - 3/8" in diameter, maybe 1/4 in length, with a stem that's about 1/8" - 3/16" in diameter that extends through the tower wall(s) and is peened over on the outside. Grind or file away the peened over area and using a small drift drive the stem/cylinder out of the tower, being carefull not to loose the pieces down inside the transmission. Making new cylinders with a stem about 1/8' inch longer that the trans tower wall thickness is a simple lathe project.

Install the new pins, peen over the excess on the outside of the trans tower and reinstall the shift lever. You'll be happy with how well the transmission will be shifting again, just like 81 years ago.

Oldie

Edited by Oldie (05/08/09 03:31 PM)

#142913 - 05/08/09 03:28 PM Re: Gear shifter [Re: Jay28]
Oldie Offline

pumpjockey

Jay,

I forgot one thing. Look at the lower end of the shift lever where it's formed into a rectangular section. More that likely you'll find some worm areas in the rectangle area. Weld those wortn areas up and reshape by filling or grinding it to its original shape.

Oldie

#142915 - 05/08/09 04:07 PM Re: Gear shifter [Re: Oldie]
Jay28 Offline
Backyard Mechanic

Loc: Canada, Alberta
Hi Oldie
This is great information, and will try it, may have to find someone to machine some parts for me but will find out when I get to those parts.
Is this a common problem with these transmitions?? for my car has very low miles on it?
Thank's again.

Keeping vintage Chevy alive.

#142959 - 05/09/09 09:48 AM Re: Gear shifter [Re: Jay28]
Oldie Offline

pumpjockey

"Is this a common problem with these transmitions??"

I think the answer is yes.

Since it's fairly simple to remove and reinstall the shift lever, I suggest that you simply remove it and inspect the areas that I mentioned previously. Reinstallation of the shift lever will be much easier if you place the transmission in neutral prior to removing the lever initially. By inpecting first you'll be able to determine if it's really necessary to make a repair and you'll also have a better understanding of what was described above.

Moderator:  490 Jim, AntiqueMechanic 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
7 Chat Members (Jonda1, 31chevyjg, Chistech, 32Guy, Floats, Dan O'Day, 1 invisible), 21 Lookie Loo's and 112 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!
Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photos
Newest Chat Registration
Original54, WillCopeland, topo, wbb916, Rskalee
15034 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
15034 Chat Users
79 Forums
49900 Topics
364650 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 03:00 AM
See the USA
In your
Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.