Chip 40
41specialdeluxe 40
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136388 - 02/07/09 07:40 PM carburetor
chevnovice Online

Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: nsw australia
I have a Koala carburetor at present on my chev 1928 tourer the motor runs but it seems the be a bit rich, the car is on stands and not driven around until I get the brakes finished etc. I have an original Carter C-RAKX-O carburetor which I will get overhauled when I save up the pennies I have a hot air tube but have to get the correct exhaust system when able to. From reading other posts I know that once the original carbie is installed with the hot air tube and correct exhaust system all should be good. For now its the Koala carbie.
My questions are:
1. Does anyone have diagrams,information re the Koala carbie how do I adjust it?
2. What car/model is it off.

The Filling Station 1912-28
#136389 - 02/07/09 08:17 PM Re: carburetor [Re: chevnovice]
SSG26K Offline
Backyard Mechanic

Loc: Waterbury ,Ct.
Chevnovice this might help as to the application of a Koala carb. http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/wokr/gallery/whc_25.htm

#136395 - 02/07/09 09:07 PM Re: carburetor [Re: SSG26K]
chevnovice Online

Shade Tree Mechanic

SSG26K thanks for the link that site shows pretty much the carbie on my car although mine has a screw under the bowl probably to adjust the float. the site says its pretty much a copy of the Tillotson carbie I remember people saying the Tillotson was a good replacement carbie for the carter. I notice the koala has an air filter attached i have wondered about this since i don't have the hot air tube etc installed at present. Has anyone got any comments on
1 Until I get the original system set up should i connect a air filter to the koala carbie?
2 Will the hot air tube connect to the Koala once i sort the exhaust system etc?
Since the Koala is working at present I want to do the minimum without wreaking anything as i have other items which need my attention and money to get this chevy on the road. ( long term I would like to put the original equipment back as funds allow)

#136397 - 02/07/09 09:26 PM Re: carburetor [Re: chevnovice]
CJP'S 29 Offline
pumpjockey

Loc: N.S.W.,Australia.
Hello,
I saw your posting and have found some information that may help you with the adjustment of the "KOALA" carb.
The "KOALA" carb is a replacement for TILLOTSON carb types "R" & "S".The car applications are as follows:

Durant Four,Models M2,M4(1928),40(1929)-R-6A
Durant Six, Models 55(1928),60(1929)-R-4A
Whippet Four,Model 96(1928)-S-4C
Whippet Four,Model96A(1929-30-31)-S-4D

Preliminary adjustment:

Turn main or high speed adjusting needle valve or clockwise until it is seated,then turn the needle vlave down,or anti-clockwise1 1/2 - 2 turns.Turn idling screwin or clockwiseuntil it is seated,then turn screw outor anti-clockwise1/2 -1 turn.These are approximate settings that will allow engine to be started and warmed up.Engine must be warmed up before final adjustments are made.

High Speed adjustment:

With engine warm and running,open hand throttle until engine speed is equivalent to 25-30 mph,and retard manual spark control.Turn main or high speed adjusting needle valve up or clockwise until engine begins to slow down due to lack of fuel.Then turn needle valve down or anti-clockwise until engine picks up speed and runs smoothly.This adjustment should be made slowly so that the needle valve is not turned beyond the point where maximum speed and smooth running are secured in order to assure maximum economy.Adjustment can be quickly checked by quickly opening and closing throttle and noting engine performance.If engine hesitates or misses,the setting is too lean,and the needle valve may be opened slightly.

Idle adjustment:

Close throttle,leave spark control retarded,adjustthrottle lever stop screw so that engine idles slightly faster than normal idle speed.Turn idling adjustment screwout or anti-clockwiseuntil engine begins to hesitate or miss(mixture too lean),then turn screw in or clockwise until engine fires smoothly.Adjusting screw controls air ans should be turned out for leaner mixture,and in for richer mixture.Adjust throttle lever stop screw for correct idling speed.

Float level:

Fuel level in float bowl should be 13/16" below the top edge of the bowl with the needle valve seated when the engine is not running.Float level can be changed to correct fuel level
by shifting the spool on the valve stem.

Hope this helps you out.

chevy

Edited by CJP'S 29 (02/07/09 09:27 PM)

#136400 - 02/07/09 10:25 PM Re: carburetor [Re: CJP'S 29]
chevnovice Online

Shade Tree Mechanic

CJP'S 29 thanks for that really helpful information i took a closer look at my carbie and the idle adjusting screw ( the one that has the spring on it if you check the link that SSG26K posted) is missing do you know of any parts supplier that might have Koala parts in Australia. Thanks for your help.

#136401 - 02/07/09 11:26 PM Re: carburetor [Re: chevnovice]
CJP'S 29 Offline
pumpjockey

Loc: N.S.W.,Australia.
Probably the best way to get any spares you need for your carb,would be to advertise in Restored Cars for another carby either complete or for parts,ebay would be another source to try.The "KOALA" carb is really a generic replacement type of carb,and you should be able to pick up one,even to raid for parts.A lot of people use them on their vintage cars,so you should come across something to get you out of trouble.
If you really get stuck for the idle screw,PM me,might be able to machine one up.

chevy

#136405 - 02/08/09 02:56 AM Re: carburetor [Re: chevnovice]
rusted Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: australia
Hi Chevnovice,
As stated the koala carbie is a replacement suited to many cars.They are most likely made of brass and usually for sale at most swap meets.
By using the koala where does the engine breather go?On your 28 there should be a pipe from the front of block which use to fit into the back of the 28 carter carbie.

Parts are available in Aust for your carter carbie and are not that dear.

My car had the carter carb, hot air tube and the orig air
cleaner but I am in the process of fitting a modern aircleaner straight onto the carb as I had the head off after 3000 mile on a full rebuilt motor and was surprised of the rubbish that had been coming through and scoring the block.I feel that the Australian climate is hot enough without the hot air tube.
I am going to sacrifice originality a little and preserve my engine as it cost big $ to rebuild.
If you venture on this line you will also save $ on the exhaust system by not mucking around with the hot box around the exhaust.
Also check the valve from your vac tank to inlet manifold and float.My vac tank was playing up and not closing the valve fully allowing fuel straight into the manifold
Cheers
Rusted

#136770 - 02/14/09 01:20 AM Re: carburetor [Re: rusted]
chevnovice Online

Shade Tree Mechanic

Hi Rusted,
The engine breather pipe has been blocked off. I think I will try to pick up an idle adjustment screw for the koala carbie just to keep it going for the present and put a air cleaner on. When i can i will continue down the track of overhauling the carter carbie.
I have a breather pipe, hot air tube ,and an original type air cleaner in my spare parts pile. I suppose once I get the tourer on the road and see how It goes a lot of questions will be resolved .(and a few new ones found)
Thanks

#136831 - 02/15/09 01:58 AM Re: carburetor [Re: chevnovice]
rusted Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: australia
Hi Chevnovice,
You should be able to find one without too much trouble.I even seen a brand new one sold on Ebay cheaply a while ago.They are a good carbie as you can adjust the settings a lot more.Usually with the second hand carter carbies some one has tried to clean the jets with a piece of fence wire and made a mess.
With your breather blocked off ,may I suggest you obtain a 1927 or earlier perforated oil filler cap to allow the engine to breathe.The 28 oil filler cap is solid with no holes due to the breather line from the front of the block to the 28 carb.
Cheers
Rusted

#136858 - 02/15/09 01:14 PM Re: carburetor [Re: rusted]
chevguroo Offline

pumpjockey

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Not sure about leaving the hot air tube off, when I got my 28 it didn't have one fitted and coughed and sputtered up hills. It runs beautifully the hot air tube fitted and I have dome many thousands of miles with no detrimental affect to my engine. I have a mate that has done over 50,000 miles with standard fitment and also has had no trouble including a trip from Sydney to the top of Cap York which included over 4,000 miles of extremely rough 4 wheel drive only conditions. I'd leave it alone and run as should be
Chris

Moderator:  490 Jim, AntiqueMechanic 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
12 Chat Members (kaygee, 41specialdeluxe, Chip, oldpartsmike, Chev Nut, gpallen2, in2deep, Mike Buller, chevnovice, terry hicks, tonyw, Chistech), 21 Lookie Loo's and 9 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photo
Newest Chat Registration
milty, mikwilfly, oldpartsmike, AutoArcheologist, 2chev
12903 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
12903 Chat Users
64 Forums
41023 Topics
296550 Posts

Max Online: 209 @ 05/12/11 08:44 PM
See the USA
In your Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.