Save 15% on your car insurance in 15 minutes.
... Really?

Today's Birthdays
Bud38
Wha Sup?

-25 Years and older are eligible for judging-

All Years Welcomed!
-25 Years and older are eligible for judging-
Featured Chat Guy (or Gal)
VCCA Member Photos
1929 Brake Linkage
Stewart Warner vacuum tank
Checking oil system of a 194
35 crud in my head
Unknown Regulator
Removable License Plate
VCCA Projects
1927 Chevrolet Imperial Landeau
1927 Chevrolet Imperial Landeau
Vacuum shift 1940
Tom171's 4 cylinder Chevrolet
Extension-Strut
Top Posters
Junkyard Dog 23443
Chev Nut 18272
Chipper 13138
MrMack 11132
AntiqueMechanic 8729
42bill 4886
Bill Barker 4587
wawuzit 4446
Tiny 3580
41specialdeluxe 3332
tonyw 2989
kevin47 2687
chef-chevy 2463
Back Roads 2364
jack39rdstr 2345
Top Posters (over the past 30 Days)
Chev Nut 238
Junkyard Dog 206
Chipper 103
BearsFan315 53
m006840 51
Bill Barker 50
41specialdeluxe 50
AntiqueMechanic 46
Genem 44
kevin47 41
Tiny 37
tonyw 36
brewster 34
rangerart71 33
Back Roads 33
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110301 - 11/11/07 08:13 AM Valve lifter adjustment
Garbo Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: idaho springs, colorado
Greetings to everyone...I was wondering when and how to adjust my valve lifters. They are very "noisy" now (like a sewing machine I've heard). How quiet should they be? Should they be adjusted when hot, motor running, or cold as I've heard cold will get me close? Try to keep your answers simple and thanks in advance...I can always count on you.
Best wishes,
Chuck

The Filling Station 1937-42
#110306 - 11/11/07 08:27 AM Re: Valve lifter adjustment [Re: Garbo]
Chev Nut Offline

Loc: West Allis,Wi.
The only proper way to adjust the valves is with the engine running (at slow idle)......and yes, engine must be hot.
When an engine is first started and cold the valves will be relativly quiet. As things begin to expand the valves will make more noise. When all parts are evenly hot the noise will be less.....and that is the time the valves should be adjusted. Usually takes at least 1/2 hour of running at fast idle. On mine I take the car out and drive it for awhile, then let it fast idle for about 10 minutes.
How quiet the valve train will be depends on the condition of the parts. Worn rocker shafts and wear where the tip of the valve stems contact the rocker arm can make proper adjustment more difficult.
On my '39 I set the valves at .014" for the exhaust and .006" for the intake and you can barely hear any noise-and I have never burnt any valves.
There is an old saying that the valves have to make noise or they are adjusted too close. This is not 10 percent true. With good "parts" and proper setting the engine will be reasonably quiet when fully warmed up.

#110336 - 11/11/07 04:27 PM Re: Valve lifter adjustment [Re: Chev Nut]
Garbo Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: idaho springs, colorado
Thanks Gene, as always...don't laugh, how do you tell the intake from the exhaust valves?
Chuck

#110338 - 11/11/07 04:40 PM Re: Valve lifter adjustment [Re: Garbo]
Bowtie Bob Offline

pumpjockey

Loc: Rochester, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Garbo
Thanks Gene, as always...don't laugh, how do you tell the intake from the exhaust valves?
Chuck

Gene can correct me if I'm in error, but as I recall (been a while since I've adjusted valves) the intake valves are vertical and the exhaust valves are at an angle to the cylinder bore.

#110341 - 11/11/07 05:07 PM Re: Valve lifter adjustment [Re: Bowtie Bob]
Tims37 Offline

pumpjockey

Loc: Champln. MN
For exhaust just look for the valves that line up with the exhaust ports exiting the head into the exhaust manifold and same for intake

#110342 - 11/11/07 05:12 PM Re: Valve lifter adjustment [Re: Bowtie Bob]
Scott Andrews Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: Dacula, GA
Bob,

One easy way to remember is that whether counting from front-to-back or back-to-front, the order of the valves is the same: E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E. This works out this way because the two end valves, which are exhaust valves, have their own port in the head. The remaining valves are all paired to a respective port. With the valve cover off, you will be able to see the relationship between the branches of the intake and exhaust manifolds and the respective valves.

#110345 - 11/11/07 05:22 PM Re: Valve lifter adjustment [Re: Bowtie Bob]
AntiqueMechanic Offline

Loc: Vancouver, WA
You can also identify which valve goes to the intake and the ones that go to the exhaust. The exhaust valve is the one that empties into the exhaust manifold, or the manifold that is pitted and probably rusty. You can visualize a line from the intake manifold to the intake valve. Nice clean manifold.

The valves are in pairs. The first cylinder gets the first exhaust and the first intake. 2nd cylinder gets the next two and on down the line.

Valves can receive an initial adjustment with the motor not running. After the engine is running and has warmed up to temperature you can make final adjustments. Even when this adjusted has been run for some time the valves (tappets) need to be adjusted for the final time.

Agrin devil

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

If I had known that growing old would be this much fun---I'd have done it sooner!

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.

#110423 - 11/12/07 09:44 PM Re: Valve lifter adjustment [Re: Garbo]
rck46 Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: CA
I noted that Chevgene indicated that the proper way to adjust the valves is with the engine at slow idle. What is the secret to doing this? I seem to end up with bent feeler gages and never know for sure if I have the correct adjustment.

#110427 - 11/12/07 11:52 PM Re: Valve lifter adjustment [Re: rck46]
AntiqueMechanic Offline

Loc: Vancouver, WA
The engine speed should be down around 400 RPM. Adjust for the slowest speed that it will idle.

Why are you damaging feeler gages? If the gage is getting depressions when placed in the gap you may have badly worn rocker arms. You should remove at least one and inspect it. If it shows a depression at the point where it pushes the pushrod down, it will need to be refaced.

For the novice who is adjusting his valves/tappets a helper makes the job much easier. You use the wrench and the screwdriver and the helper holds the feeler gage.

Agrin devil

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

If I had known that growing old would be this much fun---I'd have done it sooner!

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.

#110448 - 11/13/07 09:21 AM Re: Valve lifter adjustment [Re: AntiqueMechanic]
MrMack Offline

Loc: Central Texas
A good helper is a marvel to have doing a valve adjusting job, I suggest two Chevrolet inline six guys do their cars together. The guy doing the screw and lock nut adjusting job work on the passanger side and the guy with the feeler gauge work on the driver's side. Like Ray said it works.
When I don't have a helper sometimes I will adjust all the intakes till they click, then go to the drivers side and gauge all of them, remembering which ones need to be adjusted up or down, go back and forth till I have all six intakes right then repeat the operation with the exhaust. But after all I am an Okie by birth!
I found one of those valve adjusting tool It has a box end and a screwdriver built in, for $2.00 at a junk store in Arkansas, so you don't have to use both hands for the wrench and screwdriver.

Moderator:  37Blue, ChevyBill, Coupefan 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
11 Chat Members (1931Sal, p.k., Dave39MD, Robdi1, vetter13, akdale, Pat S, Marco1, Howard_W, chevy50jim, Jonjet), 27 Lookie Loo's and 13 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photo
Newest Chat Registration
rjvsteen, gotcha, Berto, nicedreams49, Bobsmanstuff
12677 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
12677 Chat Users
63 Forums
39788 Topics
287685 Posts

Max Online: 209 @ 05/12/11 08:44 PM
See the USA
In your Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.